Monday, February 13, 2012

Week 5 already!

Reading about the different styles of parenting was really helpful to me. Both in seeing how my own parents raised me (mostly authoritative, sometimes permissive), and in thinking about people and families that I know. I'm sure we all know the family whose parents seem to get walked on, and the children scream and cry until they get what they want. These parenting styles really affect not only how your own  child grows and develops, it also affects the family dynamic, and eventually to your children's children as they pass on the parenting style they grew up with and is what they know. The message for me is: what we do affects other people, and creates a ripple effect. If this class is all about the connections between us, I am really blown away by how intricate and dynamic those connections truly are. As a side note, I am also delighted to find out that being an only child does not set me up for failure in life, as some would have you believe! Until next week.

1 comment:

  1. I think that kids will try to control their parents as part of learning for example "the terrible twos" It has been found that kids around two will test their limits to see what they can get away with. During this time my husband and I were more authoritive with our son and it seemed to work because he realized he could not get away with things he was told not to do and that he would be put on a timeout.
    On another note I think that parenting style has a little bit of everything. For example getting some of your parenting style from your parents. You are bound to have that because it is apart of you. No one parenting style is the same they are intermixed with your past, present, and goals for your child to flourish learning from their mistakes and encouragment helps them grow as well.
    I think that this week just really blew me away it was so interesting I could go on forever on learning about this!

    ReplyDelete