Monday, March 12, 2012
Week 9
I felt that this week, probably more than any other, helped to prepare me for a career in nursing. To really see the struggles of the elderly- from declining health, to losing loved ones and independence, to Alzheimer's and everything that it robs families of, to agism and how we view and the prejudices against the elderly, really opened my eyes. The film on Alzheimer's was especially moving, and made me hope that advances in medicine and technology are able to find a cure for it before I get to be elderly. The agony that those people endure, when your family member doesn't recognize you any more, is just heartbreaking. It almost seems worse than just losing your loved one- watching them suffer like that. I really have a soft spot for older people, and I'm excited to get my CNA and hopefully find employment in this field. Hard work for sure, but really important also.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It's hard to imagine being a family member to someone who has Dementia or Alzheimers then one day going to see them and they can't recognize your face or remember your name.. Being a CNA and having residents who do have Alzheimer's is a lot different than being a family member of someone who does. I work at an Assisted Living home and I have 5 resident's with Alzheimers. I mean they forget your name everyday, and they say the funniest things sometimes, but honestly when it comes to working with someone who has the disease it's a whole different ball park, then being a family member I would think. Being a CNA is amazing and you learn so much from your residents!
ReplyDelete